A remarkable photograph, perhaps the oldest surviving photo of St Paul’s – taken in 1867, just one year after the church opened, showing the church as designed by Frederick Thatcher.
This image was taken just before the addition of the south transept in 1868, the first alteration to the church.
It is interesting for a number of reasons, as it shows the Kebbell window, which is now in a different position in the church, and the distinctive trefoil pattern of the angel window on the hard right – although it is possible that it is not filled in with stained glass at this point. The altar (still then called the communion table, as altar was too ‘high church’ for the parish) was much plainer than the one in the church today, and there is no organ or pulpit to be seen.
The Angel Window
Image Ref: PA1-q-541-12-2. Alexander Turnbull Library, Wellington, New Zealand. http://natlib.govt.nz/records/23252639