A photographer, William Henry Whitmore Davis, had his studio in Mulgrave Street, across the road from St Paul’s, from 1867.  In about 1874 he gave £20 to the church to have a window installed.  This may be one of them.  Some of least have been removed to install other memorial windows, but it seems likely that this set of two windows, to the left as you enter the church, were purchased from his money.  It has white, red, blue and yellow floral patterned glass.

Screen Shot 2015-10-05 at 10.58.00 pm

But, even more special than this, are the photos that Davis took of the church, in the early years just after it was built.  We are lucky to have them.

Screen Shot 2015-10-05 at 11.02.06 pm Screen Shot 2015-10-05 at 11.01.17 pm Screen Shot 2015-10-05 at 11.02.25 pm Screen Shot 2015-10-05 at 11.03.29 pm

Davis operated from Mulgrave Street from 1867, having arrived from London, and took many very important photos of Wellington as the city developed.

Screen Shot 2015-10-05 at 11.14.28 pm

Images: from the William Henry Whitmore Davis Collection, Alexander Turnbull Library.  See here for more photos.