Sometimes precious objects connected to St Paul’s leave the church and end up in other places, and it is important that we reconnect them with their stories. This is the case for two very special illuminated addresses that are now cared for by the Alexander Turnbull Library in Wellington.
An illuminated address is a decorated formal greeting presented for a special occasion or to celebrate a person’s achievements. They usually came in the form of a book, scroll or framed. The term ‘illuminated’ refers to decorating a page with gold, silver or bright colours. This was a common art practice in the Middle Ages, and is often seen in medieval manuscripts – the most common items to survive from that era. A renewed interest in these traditions started in the 19th century and illuminated addresses became a popular practice in New Zealand from the 1880s to the 1920s.
Bishop Wallis’ illuminated address
In 1895 an illuminated address was given to the new Bishop of Wellington, Frederic Wallis, at his consecration service. Wallis had just arrived in New Zealand from the United Kingdom to become bishop. The address, painted by Samuel G. Ross, is like a pictorial guidebook to Wellington and New Zealand, showcasing the country to the new bishop.There are many decorative native New Zealand plants painted on the address including nīkau, toetoe, rātā, a cabbage tree and ferns. An idyllic scene of Lake Manapouri with a Māori whare in the foreground and waka on the water, as well as taiaha and tewhatewha (Māori weapons), suggest that the artist incorporated features that were considered distinctly New Zealand.
The address also features small scenes of Wellington, including St Paul’s, Government House, Queen’s wharf, and Bishop’s Court, which was going to be the new home of Wallis and his wife.The address is in a book form with an ornamental kauri wood cover. See main image above, and the images below (click to view larger).
Bishop Sprott’s illuminated address
In contrast, the second illuminated address was given to Rev. Thomas Henry Sprott, who had previously been the vicar at St Paul’s for nearly 20 years. In 1911 he was elevated to become the Bishop of Wellington. Parishioners held a function at the time of his elevation to honour Sprott and the work that he and his wife had put into the parish. They presented him not only with the address but also a pectoral cross made of New Zealand gold (as shown in this image).
The illuminated address is much simpler than Wallis’ but includes a very heartfelt message congratulating Sprott, while also expressing the parish’s sadness at losing their vicar. There are two photographs on the address, one of St Paul’s from the street and another of the interior. The latter is particularly interesting as it shows the church decorated to mourn the death of King Edward VII, who had died in 1910. There are no other known copies of this image.
Sources: http://www.aucklandcity.govt.nz/dbtw-wpd/virt-exhib/illuminatedaddresses/index.htm; Wairarapa Daily Times, 10 January 1895; Dominion, 3 June 1911; Old St Paul’s Conservation Plan.
Illuminated addresses: Ross, Samuel G.,Illuminated address of welcome to the Right Reverend Frederick Wallis, D D Lord Bishop of Wellington, 1895. Ref: E-341-f. http://natlib.govt.nz/records/22327080; Illuminated address for Rev Thomas Henry Sprott, Ref AI-88-290. Both held at Alexander Turnbull Library, Wellington.
Images: Anglican bishop Thomas Henry Sprott, wearing church vestments. S P Andrew Ltd, Portrait negatives. Ref: 1/1-018792-G, Alexander Turnbull Library; other images by Elizabeth Cox.